Most beautiful book of the year
Kimmo Oksanen - Heidi Piiroinen
- Published by WSOY
- Graphic design Johannes Nieminen
- Reproduced by Timo Kirves, Kari Lahtinen
- Photography Heidi Piiroinen
- Printed and bound by Livonia Print Ltd.
- Paper Munken Print Cream 15 80 g/m2
- Typeface Adobe Caslon Pro, Trade Gothic Light
Book is an entity, where materials, design and the shape help to accentuate the content. The story of a Romanian family of beggars is a reportage, unobtrusively but thoroughly bringing us close to the subject. As an object the book is deliberately humble. Studious choices begin when the dull grey dustcover reveals a colourful picture, introducing the main characters, and continue on the interaction between text and bountiful, copiously printed pictures leading the narrative. The laconic typography and layout rhythmically punctuated with facts give the story the needed space, setting, and support.